Saturday, January 12, 2008

Simple Winter Food

Winter is a good time for soups. I made Beef and Barley soup last night. I also made mashed Rutabaga. Did you know Rutabaga is a cross between turnip and cabbage. (I didn't. Thanks Wikipedia!)

Mashed Rutabaga is easy. Just peal off the outer layer of the Rutabaga (and all that wax they dip it in). Chop it into chunks and simmer it in salt water until it is tender. Then throw it in the food processor with some butter, salt, and pepper (and a little milk if it doesn't move easily). It has the consistency of mashed potatoes but more flavor.

Beef and Barley Soup is an old stand by. I just brown a pound of beef in my heavy soup cauldron. Throw in one coarsely chopped onion, a few ribs of diced celery, one large carrot cut into rounds, one (15oz) can of diced tomatoes, and 1/2 cup pearl barley. 6 cans of water, salt and pepper to taste and let it simmer for a couple of hours.

No comments: