Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Pickled Eggs and Swiss Chard

I really feel the need for some protein and healthy vegetables lately.

Dad's Pickled Eggs are an easy quick protein pick me up.
1 Doz large eggs, hard boiled
1 (15oz) can whole beets
1 tsp salt
Cider vinegar

I have a pickle jar that hold 1 doz hard boiled eggs easily. I peel the eggs and pop them into the jar. Then I add the can of whole beets (I prefer the whole beets because they are the same size and shape as the eggs :-D), the salt and enough vinegar to fill the jar.

I can usually only wait 24 hours before I start eating them.

Fresh Red Swiss Chard.
1 bunch red swiss chard
salt & pepper
Butter
balsamic vinegar

I cut the stems out of the leaves and cook them separately, they take longer to cook and have a totally different flavor.

Rinse the chard.

Cut the stems into bite sized pieces and put in a small sauce pan to simmer until tender.

Rip the leaves into medium sized pieces and put in a large pot with a little bit of water to steam.

Serve the stems with butter, salt, and pepper.

Serve the leaves with balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and a chopped pickled egg :-D

No comments: