Thursday, January 17, 2008

Salmon Patties?

Salmon Patties?

I remember when Dad used to make mackerel patties. He mentioned once that when he was young they were Salmon Patties because salmon was cheap back then. He used a 15oz can of mackerel, it had bones and skin, totally disgusting. But I loved to crunch on the bones back then. I remember the whole breaded smelt too, with bones and tails. It was fun to eat whole tiny fish back then. I can't bring myself to do it now-a-days. I use tuna now.

I love seafood but it is expensive so it is nice to have a cheap fish dish.

Fish Cakes
1 med onion finely diced
1 rib celery finely diced
2 (6oz) cans Tuna in water, drained
1 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1 egg
oil (for cooking)

Mix everything together.
Form into patties.
Fry until crispy.

I usually use the ends of bread loafs for bread crumbs, a couple of slices is enough for this recipe. But I happen to have a couple of boxes of Wheat Flakes cereal right now that I'm using for bread crumbs in all my recipes.

I tried putting everything in the food processor so the onion bits wouldn't float loose during frying, but the finished product was too mushy. I might switch to onion powder.

No comments: