Thursday, February 14, 2008

Omelets and Pizza

I started off the day with a nice omelet. I learned how to make omelets from Martha Stewart. Back when I was living with Lynn I would occasionally catch Martha's TV show. I don't remember why. But she gave a very simple explanation on how to make:

A Good Omelet.

Ingredients
  • 4 oz sliced Baby Bellas
  • 1/2 small onion diced
  • 3 slices of deli ham, diced
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheese
  • 3 eggs
  • Salt and Pepper
  • butter
Instructions
  1. Saute the onion and Baby Bellas (I don't know why Baby Bellas are cheaper than regular mushrooms).
  2. Briefly beat the three eggs with the salt & pepper
  3. Melt the butter in your best omelet pan
  4. Pour in the beaten eggs. Use a spatula to move the edges of the cooked eggs in toward the center, while you tip the pan to spread the raw egg out around the edges.
  5. When most of the egg is cooked sprinkle on the toppings.
  6. Fold the omelet in half and slide it onto a plate.

Theory of the dish
It should be fine even without fillings, and omelet is just a fancy scrambled egg. And to be honest I used 2 slices of American Cheese, and onion powder instead of an onion.


----------------------
I was recently gifted with a bag of "Tuscan Gourmet" Pizza Mix. It consisted of a bag of spiced flour and smaller bag of sauce spices. I decided to make it tonight for dinner.

"Tuscan Gourmet" Pizza


Ingredients
  • 1 bag "Tuscan Gourmet" Pizza Dough Mix
  • 1 bag "Tuscan Gourmet" Pizza Sauce Mix
  • 2 (10.75oz) cans tomato Puree
  • 3 Tbsp Olive oil
  • 3/4 cup water
  • topping of your choice: sausage, onion, sliced Baby Bella mushrooms, red bell pepper, pepperoni, shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan.
Instructions
  1. The pizza dough was very easy to make, just add water and 1 Tbsp olive oil and mix. I oiled my round pizza pans and sprinkled the with corn flour. The dough didn't quite make two 13" pizza crusts the way it claimed. They were a little bit smaller. But I put them in the 425°F oven for 20 minutes as instructed.
  2. And the sauce was much the same, just add 2 cans of tomato puree (I didn't have tomato puree, so I used a can of tomato sauce and a can of crushed tomatoes) and simmer for 20 minutes.
  3. I had purchased some bulk mild italian sausage, so i fried up a couple of links and chopped them up. Then I sauted the onions, mushrooms, and bell pepper in the sausage fat.
  4. When the crusts were brown I ladled on the sauce (thinly, there was a lot left over) then the sausage, mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers. Then I put on the cheese layer, shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan. Then I topped it with a layer of pepperoni. and put them back in the oven for 15 minutes to melt the cheese.

Theory of the dish
This kit was a bit heavy on the spices for me. I prefer simpler flavors. But I had learned from past mistakes and was sparing with the sauce and cheese so the end result wasn't too soggy.
The only difference from this and my made from scratch version was the special spicing. And lack of leavening in the crust.

No comments: